Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Dorian Gray -- Old Very Suddenly

Today I went for my walk and needed my orthotics in my shoes. My trifocal glasses were allowing me to see the scenery while reading items I was carrying and signs along the way. My new hearing aids were picking up every "new" bird call, insect sound, and voices of fishermen out in the boats a quarter of a mile away.

My gosh, I wondered. What has happened to me? Wasn't it just yesterday that I was kind of cool? Tomorrow I fill out my application for social security. This coming weekend I will have grandchildren in my lap and rummaging through my purse.

Suddenly, very suddenly, I am beginning to picture myself as OLD. My mirror wasn't lying after all. All of these devices aren't enabling me to be The Bionic Woman. Oh no! These devices are allowing me to age more gradually -- I can still walk, still read and see long distances, and now I can hear things I haven't heard for quite some time.

Soon the government will pay me a stipend to be old and surviving. And it all happened so suddenly...

1 comment:

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

Yes, Norah and it is only Sunday, October 7, 2007. You need to get busy, because you have a lot of grandchildren holding, purse rummaging and SS collecting to do. tic toc!!!!

I loved it.

b