Saturday, October 20, 2007

Remember What's Real

In a recent Newsweek, I read a very disturbing story about a young couple, Theresa Duncan and Jeremy Blake. They were so young and promising; and they were totally immersed both personally and professionally in the world of designing video games and digital art.

At first glance, this does not sound unusual. What I cannot seem to release from my mind is the fact that first Theresa Duncan and then Jeremy Blake spiraled down into a very black place in the world of computers -- a place where technology and mental illness and reality all become very confused. They both committed suicide.

So... as you sit in front of your screen writing your thoughts to no one in particular, remember the reality of what you are doing at all times. I just felt a great need to share this story and this caution. It has been bothering me for several weeks.

If you would like to read the entire story, it can be found on pages 48-50 in the September 10, 2007 Newsweek and is entitled TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY. It is very disturbing but definitely worth your time.

1 comment:

Kay said...

You have a very interesting blog. I enjoyed reading it. Have you ended it? I see that your last entry was last year.